Gum Disease Can Lead to Serious Issues
Dr. Craig Janssen provides expert diagnosis and gentle treatment of gum disease in Green Bay. You may have gum disease or active infection in your mouth if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Bleeding gums
- Sore or inflamed gums
- Pus buildup around a tooth
- Food stuck between your teeth or under your gums
- Receding Gums
Gum disease is a progressive condition that affects the teeth as well as the gums. This is a potentially serious issue that not only is the primary cause of tooth loss for adults in the United States, it also has been linked to an increased risk for heart disease, pregnancy complications, and other systemic diseases.
Effects of Tooth Loss
Treating gum disease in its early stages is crucial in avoiding the long-term and potentially life-changing effects of tooth loss. In some instances, loose teeth can be the result of severe decay that reaches all the way to the jaw bone.
The effects of tooth loss can include:
- Misalignment of remaining teeth
- A change in facial appearance as the jaw bone shrinks
- Difficulty speaking and eating
- Sensitivity to hot and cold foods and drinks