Dr. Craig Janssen shares years of knowledge and expertise with patients to help them avoid the causes of receding gums in Green Bay, WI. The recession of gum tissue can result from a variety of factors, and many of them include habits that are simple to avoid such as poor dental hygiene.
Causes of Receding Gums
Gum recession can happen to a wide range of people in different stages of life. Some causes of receding gums can include:
- Bruxism (clenching the jaw and grinding the teeth)
- Periodontal disease
- Changes in hormone levels
- Overly aggressive tooth brushing
- Tobacco use
- Oral jewelry
- Poor dental hygiene habits
The most essential daily habit to improve upon in order to avoid gum recession is to incorporate good dental hygiene. Completed daily, consistently good dental hygiene habits can help save time, money, and effort in the future, preventing patients from having to receive more complicated dental procedures.
Poor dental hygiene can be improved using these simple steps:
- Come in for an appointment with Dr. Janssen and our team. We will give you the tools and techniques to correctly brush and floss your teeth.
- Brush with a soft or electric toothbrush at least twice a day for two to three minutes each time.
- Floss at least once a day, either in the morning or at night.
Recognizing Gum Recession
When you eat or drink, you might notice that your teeth are sensitive to the sensations of hot and cold. Or, as you smile at yourself in the mirror after brushing, some of your teeth might appear longer than they should. If you have experienced either of these situations, you might be affected by one of the causes of receding gums.
Treating Receding Gums in Green Bay, WI
Dr. Janssen employs years of specialized knowledge and training to help patients reverse the effects of poor dental hygiene and treat the causes of receding gums. Call our office today to make your personalized appointment.